Old 03-27-15, 09:27 AM
reqm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Repaired carbon frames -- Would you ride it?

I crashed my bike not long ago on a descent; wasn't going too fast but the road was slick and the tire lost traction =/
At first glance, I didn't notice any big damage, but when I did a wipe down at home, I noticed a scratch/crack on the downtube.

I tried to examine it thoroughly to determine what it was exactly. Did the tap test with a coin and didn't notice any difference in sound.. to my untrained ears anyways. I also brought it into a carbon repair shop for assessment, and the mechanic there told me it's very unlikely a crack, but I should keep an eye on it to see if it gets bigger.

I'm still not 100% sure yet, but if this turns out to be a crack, I can get it repaired for approx $300, which doesn't seem too costly compared to replacing the whole thing. The big question is, would it be fully reliable after the repair? I really don't want to be riding a frame that may potentially snap in the middle of a high speed descent.

Would love to hear opinions from the experienced members here, or even input from members who are riding a repaired carbon frame.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image1.jpg (91.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg
image2.jpg (88.6 KB, 119 views)