View Single Post
Old 03-31-15, 01:10 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
2. I don't plan to carry the torque wrench riding, but rather leave it in the case at the lodgings. I'd like to keep my travel case under 70 lbs/34 kg., as that's a cut off to avoid overweight charges on some airlines (e.g. United). My case weighs 41.5 lbs and the bike 26.5 lbs. That's 68 lbs right there, sans helmets, bike wrap, padding, etc.
Hi Will,

Regarding flying with United (as you referred), since your BikePro case exceeds the 62 inch limit, it is classified as oversized. That would be a $200 fee regardless of your travel class. So, you will not want to check that case as regular luggage (the agent should not allow that anyway).

You should check this case as a bicycle. That will incur a $150/way fee (domestic travel), however the dimension allowed is 115 inches and up to 100lbs. see the UAL Sports Equipment page for info on this.

Note, we once had a UAL check-in agent try to charge us $200 overweight plus $200 oversize with that same type of case. We had to get him to call their own agent help desk to clarify the correct rate per their Sports Equipment rule, even though we had a printout of the same.

Last edited by twocicle; 03-31-15 at 01:15 AM.