View Single Post
Old 04-07-15, 02:58 PM
tattman23

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 80's Raleigh Pursuit 12-speed "Sport-Touring Geometry" with fully functional QuickStand, thanks Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB Remove/Replace advice sought

Goal was (is) to replace the BB on a no-name bicycle, due to worn (totally destructed) bearings. There was so much play in the spindle, it was past un-rideable.
I'd say I did it "for the experience" or "to improve my newbie tool arsenal", but that's not the whole story. This aluminum (Columbia "Alum-Comp"?? wth is that anyway?) frame beast is so very feather light... to make a short story long, I wasn't ready to part with it yet. Especially since it's looking like cheap to get it to "useable as a backup" status...

So, a summary (lol) of the saga...
1) The easy part - De-installed cranks with Park Tool implement CCP-22 and a lot of shoulder. Marked the spindle and the cranks so I could orient them the same when I reinstalled (but in hindsight that was pointless, lol).
2) Fun with Leverage - Procured BBT-22, a bolt to hold it in place among the splines, and a Craftsman BFW (LARGE box wrench, clearance priced). Then, I improvised "SbhL" (serious but heavy, leverage) with a 5' length of 3" steel pipe over the BFW.
3) Broke loose the very stubborn bracket (NDS) and removed it along with a destroyed bearing cage, a couple loose balls, and other unidentifiable metal remnants.
4) Continued what was by then becoming an emotional experience, used the same "system" to pull the DS half of the bracket. The spindle came out with that. Then I blew air thru the shell and some more loose balls from the destroyed cage ejected like deershot, into the can I had thoughtfully arranged to receive the debris on the other side..

Tatt 1, BB 0, if you're keeping score.

OK now you know the story, I can get to the question (finally).. I was looking forward to seeing the inside "wall" of the frame's BB shell but, in past the threads there seems to be a smaller diameter "sleeve" looking thing that spans the inner width of the shell that's not threaded. Do I leave that be (is it part of the frame) or do I bash it out of there because it doesn't belong?
I had grand plans to apply vigorous cleaning energy to the inside of the BB shell, but this "reducer" tube is in the way?

And oh yeah, there's no markings related to the BB's size, on the spindle, cups, or any place I can find.
But I'll save the "finding a correct cartridge type square taper replacement BB" chapter for another post.

Thoughts on what that well-attached "tube" is doing inside my BB shell?

Many Thanks for your patient consideration,
Tatt