Old 04-13-15, 04:57 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
For a bike on pavement I don't need a suspension.
FTFY

I had a 2013 8.4DS and found the shock to be invaluable. I have arthritis and the fork soaked up all the vibrations form the uneven pavement, potholes, curbs ect. EVEN if I didn't I would still buy a bike with a suspended fork, because it works.

In my case the 63mm fork was still a little light and I could bottom it out off a good sized curb. Ive since lost some weight and that style of fork will probably be more than adequate. Though Im still no light weight at 220 lbs my goal weight of about 200-205 would still put me in a category of being a heavier rider and I would still want a suspended fork.

Granted the suspension on the big box bikes is absolute crap I don't believe the forks in the 650-900 range are junk but have their limits. I'm not going to go ride the King of The Mountain or compete in long distance tour on a Dual Sport either.

I hear the argument about the weight and like Wanderer in the grand scheme of things 3-4 lbs on a bike and rider combo of 250 ish pounds thats pretty much nothing. When I bought my bike at the local Trek store, the guy called it the ultimate Bosque bike and I had to agree with him.At the time I had just sold my Road Bike and had a Mtn Bike. While they had their merits the DS was far better for around town than either. Faster than the Mtb and far more comfortable than the road bike.

Like I said I no longer have my DS but am looking at 2015 8.4 here in a few months.