Old 04-14-15, 10:33 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
If I'm buying a used bike I base the price on the price of the bike stock.

10 Wheels answer is pretty spot on. It's worth what the buyer will pay for it. And I'll add from my experience, it's also not worth nearly as much as you think it is.

I bought a bike recently that had an upgraded saddle (Fizik) and upgraded stem (Pro Vibe) and upgraded bar tape (lizard skins) etc. All nice upgrades but didn't effect how much I was willing to pay. If seller had original parts and wanted to swap them I would have paid the same for the bike but he didn't and obviously I would pay much less for a bike with no saddle or stem.

Parts are easy to sell on ebay and if you truly have valuable upgrades it's probably better to take them off and sell them seperately
Good examples, a saddle is not an upgrade unless it's the same saddle the buyer happens to want to ride. You should keep a saddle and move it to another bike if it's one you like.

A stem is honestly a don't care item. buyer may have to change it to get length he wants anyway. Even if you put a $400 Enve stem on a $800 bicycle, it doesn't turn into a $1200 bicycle.

HB Tape is a consumable. Has no monetary value with regards to a selling price.