Old 04-23-15, 02:10 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Let me tell ya all a story. It's about a relatively newish bike rider; a try hard that is always pushing himself. Self taught; not real big on group riding.

Bike rider sees someone up ahead. Nice! A person to try to catch! Pushes himself, catches that person, passes, then sits up to his normal pace.

He's surprised that, once he slows up, the person he caught is now keeping pace. He's new, so doesn't understand that being off your wheel by more than a bike length doesn't constitute "pacelining". Thinks the 4 second rule applies, like in a car.

"Why doesn't this person accept my dominance and slow down and accept his passing?" he thinks to himself.

"I'm going to write a post about this on a bike website. Others must have some sort of solution about how to handle these wheelsuckers."

Then, he writes a post. He starts by misstating his speed as "20mph" and his passee's speed as "15mph" (it was actually 18mph and 17.5mph respectively; he sped up to 20mph to pass, then slowed to 17.5mph and is surprised he isn't putting distance between himself and the passee). Is surprised when he doesn't find the sympathy he believes he is owed.

"Why is nobody agreeing with me?!" He wails at his bedroom wall.

Comes in the internet response: "'Cause ya ain't fast."
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter