Old 04-25-15, 09:58 AM
Celika

Bikes: Raleigh Maverick '15, Dahon Speed D7 ~2007, and a lot :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rehabilitation of a Dahon speed D7, big play in the hinge

Hi

I bought for cheap a used Dahon D7, sell for parts cause of big problems with it hinge.
The axle of the Visegrip is bent, but the bigger problem is an enormous play between the 2 parts of frame. The central bushing is bend too cause of a lack of maintenance, and it cause this play. Like in this video, but harder on mine ...

This frame is made of cromo 4130 steel , so welding is possible if necessary.

My idea is to remove the axle, look how the bushings are going, made a ring for the central bushing to make it rounder and a new axle.

But 1st problem: the axle move a little, but i have no access to pull or push it easily. I have try to glue it to a screw head and pull, but epoxy glue is too weak... Have you an idea before weld it to a stick of steel and pull ? A little explicative picture:

And none of you have had this problem? I found almost nothing on the web... I see that:
DEBCAR Story
Very interesting, it prove that this problem could be repaired but unfortunately the Jetstream's hinge is different.
And i use to contact Dahon support and forum but no answer.

Any idea, help or constructive opinion is welcome .

If I can repair it, I guess i will upgrade a little the bike and convert it to a mini road or touring bike, to have fun during vacations or travels.

Thanks