View Single Post
Old 04-25-15, 11:13 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish? That's the question that you need to answer for yourself.

The bike that you are asking about is a $250.00 bike. It's not going to impress the bike snobs. The question is: Will it get you around and do what you want it to do?

I don't pay too much attention to bicycle brand names anymore. At the low end, most of the bike frames are made in the same generic factories and painted to the marketers' specifications. In other words, within a style, there isn't much difference that I can see.
Now lets talk about components. Alivio is in the MIDDLE of the Shimano component group hierarchy. There are lots and lots of bicycles running around town that have ultra cheap Shimano Tourney derailleurs. Know what ? They work. Maybe not as crisply as the high end stuff, but they really will get you by. Alivio derailleurs will get you by a little bit better.

Initial set up, sizing, and service. If you don't feel prepared to do these things for yourself, here's where a bike shop bike might be an advantage.

If you are looking for a bike to putts around town or exercise on the bike trails, and you are comfortable with the $250.00 price range, that bike should service you well.