View Single Post
Old 04-28-15, 05:36 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
FTR, I've built wheels with BHS hubs(both triplet and traditional laced). The traditionally laced version was an absolute joke. NDS spoke tension was ridiculously low. With triplet lacing the wheel was much better, but lateral stiffness was a little less than I prefer, and I'm far from being called a sprinter.
I have exactly the same experience as you do when using any of the BHS hubs that come with the 37.6/16.9 NDS/DS flange-to-center distance ratio. No argument at all in that particular case. The main offering at this time, however, the SL210 hub has a 37.3/17.1 ratio. The BDop Novatec hubs have a 38.0/17.5 ratio. But the flange diameters are different also and are in favor of the BHS hub. When all these numbers are plugged into the spoke length calculator, the results for the two hubs are identical, a 0.47 ratio for the NDS tension/DS tension. With either hub 60 kgf tension on the NDS can be achieved with 128 kgf on the DS. I would still prefer triplet, but the main BHS offering is much improved. I could build wheels like that for folks without a qualm.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...