Old 04-28-15, 06:47 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nkfrench View Post
I haven't got my bike trainer set up for my road bike (long story), but my knees don't do well on the special spin bikes at the gym.
I do not have a smooth pedaling motion and I get out of synch with the smooth flywheel action.
Either I don't have enough resistance to get a decent workout; or it feels like the flywheel will rip my leg in two at the knee when I'm at a dead spot in my pedaling.

The few times I've been on a trainer for a real bike, the flywheel was different and not as tough on my knees; but I didn't spend much time on it to tell if it would be a problem.

So, I wonder if a flywheel is contributing to OPs problems.

On the road, my uneven pedaling just makes me go relatively slower than others on chipseal and when climbing.
My knees don't hurt on the road unless there is a weather change or humidity is high; or when wrestling the bike up a hill cadence < 40.
That one little go around with knee pain from the rollers makes me so very grateful my knees do not hurt on the road :-). It might sound, I dunno childish but the feeling that I had injured myself in a way that would stop me from riding really sucked :-(. Was really great to go for a ride today and not even think about that til I had 18 mi in. Normal "ramping up the miles" body adjustments but no toothache in the knee pain.