View Single Post
Old 05-04-15, 11:59 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
2 races this weekend, only about 2 hours of riding including warm up, possible making this my lightest weekend all year.

Cat's Hill Classic, E3 10th/39
0.8 mile loop, 6 corners and one block at 20% grade.

Last year in the 4s this actually felt difficult. No one gets away, but people get dropped. Plan was sit in, conserve, hit the climb easy and let guys pass as long as it didn't look like they'd get gapped. Hope for more in the tank than the competition at the finish. 40 minutes. Pretty damn easy sitting in, the climb felt like nothing. We lost 10 guys or so. 2nd to last lap hit the climb harder in order to get position, but was able to move up more at the start/finish going into the last lap. Got a spot about 10th going into the climb, which was dumb. Should have been AT the front for that left turn to the 20% climb - front guys carry WAY more momentum into the climb. Hit the top of the climb in 10th, finished half a lap later in 10th.

----------

Didn't know if I'd drive 2 hours each way to race 50 minutes today or just get in a long ride. Since I wasn't sure, I had to wake up in time in case I felt like racing. Since I woke up in time, figured I should pack my race bag and look up directions, in case I felt like racing. Since I packed the bag, may as well go race!

Flat circuit race, 2 mile course with 8 turns and a left-right chicane less than 100m from the line. Figured I better win this thing with 4 hours of driving and only 50 minutes of racing! Did it last year, but scouted out the course again anyway. Measured the distance from chicane to finish, marked out 200 meters, planned on going with the flow, but anticipated a field sprint in which I absolutely needed to enter the chicane first.

Started racing, watched the field shut down all attacks immediately. Couldn't tell what would happen if someone got a real gap. So waited 15 minutes, then waited for an opportunity to go. Fast pace, chasing a couple moves, saw an opportunity to get an easy gap. Rolled off the front in the saddle, big gap. Waited. Waited. No one coming up to help, crap. A lap later the pack was closing in so I gave it up. Chilled out for a while.

A bit later 2 guys manage to get 12-15 seconds. They hover there for a lap or two, but the "home team" with like 6 guys in the race is not represented so I wait. 2 guys go to bridge, including home team so I follow, but we aren't together. Home team guy gives up as I pass... not what I wanted, look back, ease up. I anticipate a last minute catch, but consider the counter if someone goes. The catch comes going into the last lap, no counter and I'm good with that.

Last lap is pretty fast, everyone fighting for position with a mile to go, I drift back a bit far. Fight for position, or let guys burn out early? Go for saving my energy, knowing most E3 races like this will see a bunch of guys fading. Sure enough, the flurry's pause. One guy comes up on my right and I follow his wheel. I'm NEVER one to yell in races but for some odd reason I yelled "If you're moving up, MOVE UP!". Kind of a dopey thing to say, but that's what I was thinking - all too often someone moves up 4 places and tucks back in 18th wheel or some crap with the sprint coming. He moved up a bit further, not enough. I see my target spot to GO for the front and I go. Enter chicane, crap 2 guys in front. I'm gaining though - go to pass the leader on the right. The left side is outside - safe but longer distance. Inside is risky, but I went for it - not quick enough. He shut the door and I had to feather the brakes. Sprinted for 4th place.

Totally had the speed to take it if I had just a couple more feet in the chicane. Go left and maybe I don't pass him, but probably take 2nd. Oh well, always a gamble. 2 more upgrade points.
Nice job, Aaron. Yes, that was us on the home team. We didn't really get organized very well and let those 2 guys get a little farther out than we should have. Thought we were able to get our guy to bridge up but as you say it didn't stick. In the end, it was brought back, which is what we wanted but didn't get the result we wanted.