View Single Post
Old 05-05-15, 07:24 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I recently picked up a used homebuilt cargo bike for $40. Needs a bit of work.
Hopefully the restoration will go quickly. I'll try to post notes of the restoration / rebuild as it goes on.
Unfortunately it had a broken weld on the frame. The two tubes had two plates welded between them which had also broken loose. Somehow the canti brakes also disappeared between when the photos were taken and the sale. No rear wheel, but a standard 26" should be fine. And the paint job is much worse than it looks in the photos. I probably should strip and repaint.
Looking at the bike, some things are good. Some aren't so good. Some things make me wonder what the builder was thinking. Personally I think the double tube design must have had a lot of both vertical and torsional flex. The plywood might give it some strength, but it wasn't really designed for that either.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll touch up the broken welds. Then perhaps I'll put it back together and try it out, but I expect to be building a little more extensive front support system.
Clifford - having now looked at the pictures, I would supply the old adage; If it looks like crap, it probably is! I really don't see anything worth spending on time and money on to repair/restore. Best use is probably to use it as a concept to design a new build upon. But then again front loaders are iffy in terms of ride-ability and turning. Could just eat the $40 and google for pictures of modern cargo bike with the load behind the driver. Clone one of those? Or one could just buy one of the available ones such as the LHT brand which are much beloved. Amazon has a nice un-cheep front loader here to buy or clone;

Amazon.com : Virtue Gondoliere in Atlantis Green, Cargo Utility Bicycle, 7 Speed Wagon Bike : Sports & Outdoors

Hope that helps

/K