cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is the intent of your thread to post predictions of the near future or just wishful thinking and more discussions of flights of fancy?

Were you making a serious prediction or just expressing your own wishful thinking about increased use of three-wheeled pedal powered vehicles?
There's a fair amount of bike commuting where I live, and over the last 5 years I have seen more of those electric bikes that are really scooters with the awkward looking pedals that remind of T Rex's vestigial front arms - not good for much. As far as I know, just by having pedals, they are street legal as bikes. The riders are typically not very fit or athletic looking, and I don't think I have ever seen one actually pedalling. My prediction is that a few of those people, plus some actual self-propelled cyclists of my ilk, as they/we get older, will switch to electric or e-assist trikes for the ease of propulsion and balance. It may not be significant modal share, but enough that you won't be surprised to see one every now and then