Old 05-07-15, 10:15 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
I agree. My commuting route used to take me down a well-used bike route that passed an elementary, middle, and high school. All the kids I saw still riding to/from school had helmets, but 95% of them were strapped to the handlebars where they only created additional danger if they slipped and interfered with the front wheel.

The main effect that was observed here when the helmet law was introduced for children was that the number of kids riding to school was dramatically reduced and we now have longer queues of cars at our schools from parents dropping off their kids. And I found these drop-off zones to be the most hazardous part of my commute - cars making unexpected U-turns and other sudden maneuvers as the parents rush to get to work on time after leaving the kids. We should be encouraging more children to bicycle as a healthy form of exercise - not creating additional obstacles.
Exactly. I'd be in favour of a public education campaign but not this law. enough opportunities for unnecessary conflict already.