Old 05-11-15, 10:03 AM
pierretong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MZilliox
Here is my feedback. My wife and I just went through this. She ended up choosing from the LBS and very nice Trek 520 touring bike. Very practical, easy to ride and maintain, stable, no bells and whistles, perfect bike for her really. I'm a more experienced cyclist with experience mainly on older crappy steel frames. This makes me pickier. I find new bikes to feel cheap and plastic until you get to a certain price point. Our shop didn't have what I want really, so I looked to the used market and found much better buys on the used market. I ended up with double the bike of my budget but i only spent half my budget. The bike i ended up with has much highe rend components than anything new in the bike shop. I'm still fixing the bike up, using money saved to buy high end parts to upgrade the bike even further. Now my wife wishes she would have waited for me to do the same for her because she could have a great bike thats also "cuter" than the Trek 520, and possibly for less money.

that being said, of the 3 choices you present, I would be inclined to have the closest look at the cross-check since you enjoyed riding it the most. this bike with a more "road style" tire setup could be the answer. you can commute quickly, but still have fun on the weekends on trails. its a very practical bike.
Thanks for your input! I'd say that the roof of my budget would be what the Quest Elite is $1800 but if the Cross-Check/LHT (or even a lower level Quest) will work just fine at $900-1300, that'd be awesome. I have looked a little on Craigslist but feel like I don't know enough about parts to find a good deal or know if there's a glaring problem (it's not like a car where you can look up the VIN). I'm not a serious cyclist at the moment so I'm not too worried about little details - just looking for something fun and reliable that I can use if I want to go somewhere or not run on the treadmill haha