Old 05-11-15, 01:09 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pierretong
That's correct - I do have a couple other Trek, Giant and Cannondale bikes I have looked at. I guess the point of this post is not to figure out what brand or specific model I want but exactly what kind of bike do I want. (If it's a road bike, I have a couple other brands/models in mind) For the longest time, I thought I wanted a road bike but after riding the Surly's yesterday, I'm not exactly sure.
If you truly think you will be doing a good amount of off road riding then look for cross or gravel bike. But I would look at the options at the other lbs or if you are really into steel (and I love steel bikes so I won't talk you out of that) look at the Surly Stragler. It's the same bike as Cross Check with disc brakes instead of cantilever and the stock bikes come with brifters instead of barcons.

Straggler | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Bar end shifters are a novelty and the novelty will wear off fast as you get more into cycling. The only other issue with the Straggler or any cross bike is the gearing. Only having a 46t big ring could be limiting in flats or down hills. But you can always change the crankset down the road if you feel limited