View Single Post
Old 05-11-15, 06:28 PM
benzaote

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Stick a shorter stem on it, it will do wonders for the handling, ok not as good as a 2015 bike, but for a beginner, will be a cost effective option. wider bars may be useful, but local terrain will determine this.

That bike has a current spec 42/32/22 crank, a Shimano M571 LX, it's compact drive, Standard drive hasn't been around for MTB's since the very early 90's

Why? yes disc's are nice to have, rim brakes aren't the be all and end all, although if riding with others who have disc, would want to have the same stopping power as them, for cost, if looking at say Shimano M395 brakes, and say Shimano MT15 wheel, this can be done very cheaply, the v-brakes will also have some retro value if you are looking to go for disc's to bring the cost down as well.

Agree with this, the bike looks barely ridden, if buying , would look to removing the fork boots, as they really aren't needed.

Thanks everyone for all the info it is really helping! dumb question what exactly are the fork boots? you said sticking a shorter stem? what kinda size would be appropriate? and another dumb question how do i tell if it fits me? i have the seat kinda high and it feels fine to me on the pavement but i probably dont have it set up right.