3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14544 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mooder View Post
Hey,

I have a high drive side tension 1.8mm round spoke indicate 24-25 on the park tool TM-1 which is 148 kgf for 24 and 167 for 25...!
The non drive side is going around 17-18 which is 70-77 kgf.

I am building the BDOP DIY allow kit and he recommend 110-115 on the drive side.

The wheel is nearly perfect in term of alignment (lateral and radial), it moves around 1mm at some places, the tension is pretty even on the NDS & DS. The hub is almost perfectly centered, a tad more tension on the driving side would bring the hub in the middle but the tension is already high...
I am just concerned with the tension. I compared the DS (drive side) tension with other rear wheels and it is very high. My R500 shimano have a 2.0mm round steel spokes and they hit 28 (173kgf).
I wonder if I should reduce the tension and if so how to properly adjust the wheel. Only way to reduce the DS tension is to reduce the NDS and it's already somewhat low...
...my own opinion (and it is based on what has worked well for me over the years), is that if you have the wheel tensioned at that level, and the rim is not deformed by the higher tension, it is fine, and in fact probably a stronger wheel in a lot of important ways. I would not personally lower the tensions if the rim is round (radially true), well dished in terms of centering, and true in one plane.

Someone else will doubtless now chime in and tell you that your wheeel will asplode at the higher tension.

Make sure you stress relieve the bends at the hub flanges, and you should be good to go.