Old 05-15-15, 08:58 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nastiest flat ever & sidewall repair

I was riding along minding my own business when my rear Kojack picked up a 3" drywall screw. It penetrated right at the bottom and exited through the sidewall about 1/8" from the rim.

Ironically, the flat happened about a block from my destination bike store so decided to walk over. I hadn't noticed the screw -- didn't really look -- and, with every rotation of the tire, it scratched my nice halo dyad rim. Damn!

I was able to fix it in a/c comfort -- needed a screwdriver to remove the screw -- and made use of a Filzer adhesive tire boot that had been rattling around unused in my toolkit for five years.

After riding the clearly labeled "for emergency use" booted tire for a few days, I see that the adhesive side of the boot is gradually forcing itself out of the tire and making a small 3/16" bubble on the sidewall just above the rim.

It's a nice tire and I'd like to save it. I'm considering the following and would appreciate any better suggestions or advice:
  1. Cut a piece of sidewall from an old tire and glue it to the inside of the damaged tire using vulcanizing glue
  2. Cut a piece of sidewall from an old tire and glue it to the inside of the damaged tire using crazy glue
  3. Add a small regular tire patch on the outside of the tire to seal the puncture and reinforce it.

Or, is this tire toast?