Old 05-15-15, 10:42 AM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wolf Tooth Components and OneUp Components both sell a 16T cog with ramps for both SRAM and Shimano cassettes. You place the cog on the splines in a certain location depending on whether your cassette is SRAM or Shimano.

The designated purpose of this cog is for mountain biking in conjunction with adding a 40t cog. Since you must remove a smaller cog (either the 15t or 17t, presumably) when you install the 40t, that introduces a huge gap in the small cogs. But if you remove both the 15t and the 17t, and install the 16t, the spacing remains even.

I don't even own a mountain bike. But I decided to give this a try for my road bikes. I chose (simply because since I discovered it first) the Wolf Tooth offering. I installed it on a 105-equipped bicycle with a SRAM 12-32 cassette as described in my initial post. Does it shift perfectly? No. But is it acceptable? Yes. I've ridden about a hundred miles with it and have NO intention of returning to the stock cassette configuration.

I also removed the wheel, put it on a SRAM Rival-equipped bicycle, and tested it on the workstand. In that very brief workstand test (shift across the 16t maybe half-a-dozen times), it shifted perfectly.

So, this is an unsolicited plug for the Wolf Tooth 16t cog. I haven't tried the OneUp cog, but I imagine the results would be about the same - the descriptions are almost identical. If anyone tries the OneUp cog, please post your results.

Going back to my original post, if you're interested in doing the same, check out the Wolf Tooth and OneUp 16t cogs.