Old 05-15-15, 09:43 PM
melangeles

Bikes: 1992 Nishiki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings and Salutations from Cali!

Hello from all too sunny southern california!

My first 2 wheel was a 1974 Schwinn Lil' Chik - Opaque Blue, pink flowered seat & a Mickey Mouse bell. That was 1st Grade. In 4th Grade, I traded up to a 1977/78? 10 speed Nishiki. At a time when American brands dominated, I thought a Japanese bike exotic and burgundy w/ gold metallic lettering & trim quite grown up. When I started riding 60-80 miles a week it was retired for a brand new 1987 Schwinn Tempo. Both were given away years later because old bikes had little value. A cringe worthy thought now.

Raised in the San Fernando Valley with two brothers so much of our childhood was spent on bikes and in our local bike shop. I can't recall the exact name of the shop and for reasons long forgotten the owner was referred to as The Mad Dutchman - though I think his accent was German or Austrian. He wore a machinists apron, had a couple of missing fingertips and admonished the boys for the rims they'd 'taco' doing jumps. He was revered.

Within the past year, I've been given 3 bikes and in the process of riding and researching them I stumbled across this site more times than I can count, so I figured it best to sign up, join the fun, hopefully learn a thing or two and get back on a bike. It's been far, far too long.

Thank you in advance for your patience and tolerance!

Last edited by melangeles; 05-16-15 at 03:54 PM.