Old 05-18-15, 07:14 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Better than what? An iPhone or a 500? The 500 records at the same rate.
I meant to say that my 705 is better with one-per-second recording than the uh, "smart" recording, which tries to just record changes in speed, etc.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
That mirrors my experience precisely. Static elevation readings are usually off by a decent amount-- it reads my house anywhere from 700 to 1100 feet (it's at 1300ft) and riding the boardwalk at Huntington Beach last week registered -126ft, but the recorded amount of elevation gain/loss is spot on.
Yes, my 705 is similar. You'd think that the Garmins would adjust the elevation when powered on and not yet started recording. But they don't.

A partial fix is to save your commonly used starting points, with the location GPS averaging turned on for at least 30 seconds. I can see the elevation converging to the correct height as it gets more readings. Hit Save. Then when I start a ride within about 100 feet of that point, I see "elevation point found" and it sets the elevation correctly. (It ignores saved locations that I pass by, only the one when starting recording is used.) There's a limit of maybe 50 or 80 saved locations on a 705. I had to clean out old ones when it filled up.)

The GPS averaged saved locations can be very accurate, within just a couple of feet of the actual elevation.

To save a location: On the 705: main menu-->Save Location-->Avg. It counts measurements , one a second, and the location and elevation update as each reading is averaged in. The elevation will stop changing after 30-60 seconds. Then hit Save.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-18-15 at 07:38 AM.