View Single Post
Old 05-18-15, 09:17 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
But I see absolutely no place for bicycles in your scenario. Drafting in a 50 mph pace line of cars? Not bloody likely!
A 50mph pace line of cars uses less lane-per-vehicle than independently-operated vehicles. Also, without air rushing in and out of the lanes, there would be less noise and gusts to annoy and endanger cyclists in the other lane or on a parallel cycling path.

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I like the OP's idea. Another ad notion that pops into my mind is one depicting a conversation between two elderly people. One is upset that her children and grandchildren are nagging her to give up driving. The other says she went through the same thing and finally did it. The first is incredulous since the second showed up in a car that is parked right out front. Then cut to the second leaving in her self-driving car. Independence in old-age!
Great point! Travel-independence for blind people was an initial selling point, but the elderly are a much larger demographic.

Originally Posted by 350htrr
I think it's called a TAXI...
Taxis can't manage a 50mph pace line unless they're driven by NASCAR racers.

Originally Posted by Artkansas
It's just me, but I don't see the benefit in introducing a "train" concept into the mix.
Because a pace line of automated cars gets the same wind-drag reduction of a train but a single passenger compartment (car) can disengage from the chain and drive off on its own without stopping the whole train, as is necessary with Amtrak's autotrain.

Yes, I see that self-driven cars should be able to cluster to save time, speed and space,
And wind-drag. Air has to be displaced by each car separately when cars fail to draft each other. If cars pace each other close enough, the air displaced by the front vehicle just stays outside the chain.