View Single Post
Old 05-18-15, 01:14 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
I do like the idea of trying to separate the points competition from sprinting for stage wins... no points for stage wins - maybe throw in some points on short tough climbs, or close to the finish so the stage winner hopefuls don't go for them. It would be more of an aggressive rider competition, or combative riding trophy.
I think that would mean resurrecting the old red jersey competition.

I think the original idea of the green jersey wasn't that it was a "sprinter's jersey," more that it rewarded consistently finishing at the front, rather than sitting in the bunch. From 1905 to 1912, the winner of the Tour was decided on points before they switched back to time. The rationale for the original "green jersey" was that it rewarded riders for consistency, getting as good a finishing place as possible every day. That evolved into being a sprinter's competition because they turned out to be the more consistent high placers. Personally, I'd rather all stages be scored equally for the points comp, than giving flat stages a premium. The yellow jersey doesn't really reward sprinting at all, but to me the green jersey shouldn't be all about sprinting only.