View Single Post
Old 05-19-15, 03:10 PM
ollyisk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7 speed cassette on an 11 speed hub?

Backstory: I've got an Eddy Merckx Super Corsa. It has 600 hubs with older Mavic rims. To say the wheels have seen a lot of use would be an understatement (the braking surface is about done), and I recently broke a spoke on the rear wheel. Instead of buying new rims (can't be mismatching, now, can we?) and paying someone to relace them, it would seem buying a new set of wheels would only cost marginally more money and drag ol' Eddy kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

However, I've failed my attempts at google-fu and I'm at a loss--I can't seem to find anyone that has shared their experiences (horror stories?) of trying to stick a 7-speed cassette on an Ultegra 6800 11-speed hub. It would seem that to pull this off, I'd need 6.5mm worth of spacers behind the cassette. This seems a bit excessive to me. Has anyone done this? Should this not even be attempted? Should I just replace the freehub body (something I've never done, if we're being honest) with a 10-speed freehub (or potentially the freehub on the 600, if that's even possible)?

Should I just change my indexed 7-speed DT shifters to friction and stick an 11-speed cassette on there?

So many questions, not really sure what to do here. I'm relatively comfortable doing my own wrenching, but I've never changed a freehub body, so there's that.

Thanks for any help!