View Single Post
Old 05-20-15, 12:23 PM
shinyandfree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster View Post
I think that would mean resurrecting the old red jersey competition.

I think the original idea of the green jersey wasn't that it was a "sprinter's jersey," more that it rewarded consistently finishing at the front, rather than sitting in the bunch. From 1905 to 1912, the winner of the Tour was decided on points before they switched back to time. The rationale for the original "green jersey" was that it rewarded riders for consistency, getting as good a finishing place as possible every day. That evolved into being a sprinter's competition because they turned out to be the more consistent high placers. Personally, I'd rather all stages be scored equally for the points comp, than giving flat stages a premium. The yellow jersey doesn't really reward sprinting at all, but to me the green jersey shouldn't be all about sprinting only.
I tend to disagree. Frankly, I barely look up for the intermediate sprints. Generally you've got the green jersey guy (Sagan) and a few mid-level sprinters from second tier teams popping out for a half-hearted sprint while all the pure sprinters are sitting in and waiting for the final. I'd prefer to do away with intermediate sprints entirely and make the green jersey for the best sprinter. Heavily weight the flat stages over the hilly stages and give far more points to the first one over the line than the second, third, etc. It seems ridiculous to me that the guy who failed to win a single stage would win the green jersey by a landslide.