View Single Post
Old 05-20-15, 03:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 517 Posts
Originally Posted by ollyisk View Post
The rear is spaced to 130mm, I believe it's a 91 model. The hub is a 130mm HG (but UG compatible) 600 Tri-Color. To my surprise, there were no spacers behind the cassette.

The hubs are in working condition, but I can buy a new wheelset with modern Open Pros, Shimano 6800 hub, of decent build quality (according to reviews) for what it would cost for me to have wheels rebuilt around the hubs (in the 200ish euro range). I love my Eddy, but I don't want to spend $800 on a new wheelset with old parts, I'm not that much of a purist geek

My concern is putting 6.5mm of spacers behind the cassette. Is that an invitation to tragedy? Maybe I'd be better served putting an 8 or 9 speed hub on there and switching my DT shifters to friction mode (since apparently 10 and 11 don't play nice, according to bikemig)?
Why not go with the new wheels, put an 8, 9 or 10 speed cassette on and matching indexed down tube shifters? if you go 8 speed you can get tiagra downtube shifters. other wise probably need to go to durace.