Old 05-20-15, 06:08 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nuclear_biker
I'm an out of shape grad student who is going to start biking to the lab to save money, avoid the summer bus schedule, and to get exercise.

I'm looking for recommendations on rear racks and panniers (or some other method of carrying stuff).
One final question: Does anybody do grocery shopping with their bike? I don't mean a months worth of shopping but just for a few bags worth.
I have been commuting on a bike for ~12 years now. Without the expense of a car, I don't scrimp on the bike, and what I have has worked well for me and held up.

For a rack, I have a tubus logo. I like it because it has a deck which is above the rails where your panniers hang - I have a trunk bag where I keep tools, a U-lock, and other necessities, and with the tubus rack, it doesn't interfere with putting the panniers on/off.

95% of the time, I ride with one pannier - an Arkel 'Bug' which holds my work clothes, lunch, laptop computer and a few other things...

The trunk bag is also from Arkel, don't remember the name. - I really like Arkel, excellent quality, excellent customer service.

I go shopping on the bike too, both grocery store and farmers market. I usually carry different panniers for that, or take a trailer.
I like to buy less stuff, more often, easier to carry, and food is fresher that way.