View Single Post
Old 05-21-15, 08:36 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 647 Posts
There are no issues with spacers on a freehub. There is an added benefit is that you can slightly improve your chainline depending on the width of the spacers.

Since you are pretty much open to everything, my personal opinion is to start with a cogset or cassette and build from there. Figure out what your ideal gearing would be. If it is 8 then that is the way to go... 9, do that etc. If you really want to stay with 7, stay with that. Personally, I would try to find a good used wheelset off of ebay. A 7403 or a 7700 freehub will give you 130mm and you won't have that funky DA unique crap that isn't compatible with anything. Plus DA hubs will make you forget about your 600s pretty quick.

I would think that with some diligence you would be able to find a very nice used wheelset for around $300. I have built my own wheels, but for some of the ebay wheelsets, I can't buy the parts individually for what I have paid for a complete set. You just have to do your homework, research, and ask questions. Good luck.

John