Old 05-24-15, 03:16 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Group rides are usually very safe but the biggest threat are new/inexperienced riders. Thats where the rider leaders role is important. A good leader recognizes most riders. They ask if anyone new is there and talks with them to determine their abilities. A good practice is telling new and inexperienced to hang in the back until they are comfortable and understands the dynamics. The leader is back there with them as well.
You may have hit the nail on the head here. We all should feel for the family of the deceased rider but as group riders ourselves that is like losing a member of our tribe. I know and am friends with many solo riders that dislike group rides for some of the very reasons indicated in these posts. But I am not sure there is a connection with danger and group rides that exceeds just riding. The bigger difference is more than likely in the mind of the rider. Solo riders tend to be solo people. They have skills and some more than others. I have seen some impressive riding skills by solo riders. So where is the caveat? Solo riders don't tend to teach many others. Cyclists can promote our passion for cycling by teaching others how to develop riding skills already mastered by others. In my opinion only that teaching is best done in groups. A group that has skill levels that differ and members that want to help others learn what they already have learned goes a long way at promoting cycling. Yes we are going to see accidents now and then but it is unlikely we will see more total than non group riders. And yes a good group has to be willing to spend the time helping new riders become strong riders, even with the aid of power meters, Garmin and Strava. People today are just as skilled as they ever were as can easily be seen in Videos of Peter Sagan on both road and mountain bikes just having fun. Sorry to hear one of ours didn't make it.