View Single Post
Old 06-02-15, 08:52 AM
beoutside

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Videos Dan
I'm building up a yuba Mundo with a BMC V3 48V rear hub that is almost new. I love the kill switch idea since I really don't want to run another set of brake levers.... thanks for the idea! Any experience with ordering batteries with built in controllers from over seas? Thoughts on Lithium ion vs lifepo4? Appreciate your time Donny

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
As I explained in one of the earlier videos, I am discarding the brake lever with the kill switch built in, and wiring a separate kill switch on the handlebars. The reason being, the lever is junk, but it does seem a good idea to to be able to cut the power in case it stuck on.
I was simply going to wire an on off switch in place of the lever, but was surprised to learn that pulling the lever actually closes the circuit rather than opening it. This means that the safety overide actually relies on a power supply rather than cutting power. Hardly seems fail safe to me.
So, I went with the original plan, and connected the cable to bypass the key switch instead as I had done on the earlier conversion.
Is it common to have safety overides that function by supplying power, and if so, why?