Old 06-02-15, 01:23 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
I've a Rohloff on my Krampus. Had a Nexus 8 on my Bakfiets... worlds of difference.

Not sure on what the Nuvinci cost... but I did the math on what I've spend on traditional drivetrain parts on my road / rando / light touring rig, and while the upfront cost is alot, the lifetime cost of the Rohloff is on par or cheaper than conventional stuff (talking about nice 9spd and Campy / SRAM 10 spd). I wish I'd gotten a Rohloff when I built that bike... right now I'd be on the plus sides of drivetrain costs. I think I would have paid for the Rohloff in 5-6 years.
Worth keeping in mind, but later, when I have more to spend. I understand spending more now to spend less later, but understanding the math doesn't make an extra grand appear in my account.

At any rate, I feel like my Trucker is nearing retirement, and I'm not sure what's next. A couple hundred to keep it going while I figure that out? Sure, it's still cheaper than a car. But if I invest in a Rohloff, I'm also going to spring for a frame that's made to play nice with the Rohloff. I'm definitely not going bike shopping right now, so any dreams of the Rohloff will be put on hold. Also it's my commuter. Any upgrade that more than doubles the value of my bike makes me more nervous about leaving it outside all day.

I do find it encouraging that you had a Nexus 8 on a Bakfiet.