Old 06-02-15, 09:35 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 87 Centurion Ironman Expert, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PFN10

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
Velocivixen, I know this is basic, and probably something you know, but, when you changed the cable housing, did you use shifter housing or general use housing... Finally brought it to the LBS who knew me and wanted to know why I used general use housing (brake housing) cause that leads to all kinds of shifting problems.
Ah, be careful here. "...all kinds of shifting problems" is a typical LBS comment. But that non-compressible derailleur housing is also much stiffer. It is necessary for index shifting but not for friction or ratchet/friction. More significantly, it can cause problems with the Cyclone at least. When you shift into a high enough gear the housing has to swing inward from the stop on the stay then angle back out again to feed into the derailleur at the right angle. Stiff housing can't do that easily so the stiffness can prevent the RD from going onto the small cog. I've seen it happen.