Old 06-09-15, 07:58 AM
Beach Comber

Bikes: 1973 Peugeot UE-8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2010 Trek 1.2, 2012 Bianchi Siempre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
You seem to have misunderstood my point. I'm not saying SPDs are bad. On the contrary, I rode 2500 miles on SPDs last year.

What I don't like are the pedals that have SPD on one side, and platform on the other. You lose the double sided nature of SPDs, and the platforms are pretty awful. So when I said "the worst of both worlds" I mean, taking away the benefits of good platforms or SPDs. Many seem to like them, I wonder how many miles they put on using these when they would be better off with regular SPDs? Do then really use their bikes so often in flip-flops to make having a crappy pedal when doing a Century worth it? I doubt it.

In fact that the best thing about SPD is that the shoes can be so casual and easy to walk in, it makes using them on causal rides easy. Why would I want to wear flip-flops when I can clip in?
I use the A530 on one bike which gets used on anything from neighborhood excursions with the kids to riding LBI fully loaded with beach gear and food. Its convenient to switch sides depending on the ride. But your point is well taken. When my last 3-bolt shoe finally is ready for the trash, I'll probably switch the most used road bike's pedals to M530 - which is dual entry SPD with a larger support platform.