Old 06-09-15, 02:51 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by makeitso5005
Pretty much you just need to ask yourself with the primary and secondary purpose is of your riding. If it involves utilitarian uses (errands, transportation to where you'll stay in your shoes for a while, basically anything where you'd rely on the shoes as waking shoes) or also own a mountain bike SPD's or crank brother egg beaters are the way to go. However, if your uses involve the road bike being purely recreational where you're going to ride loops around meetup locations for more than 2 hours then a road specific platform likely is the better choice. However, considering your budget ($125) you're likely going to fairly limited in the road selection you have access to without buying used.

With that being said I've done everything from grocery shopping to century rides in SPD's. There's nothing wrong with the SPD system except that it lacks the wider platform of a road specific system and less adjustment available for the cleat and usually the shoes and heavier. If you don't get hotspots in your feet and aren't super sensitive to cleat adjustment you could be very happy with SPD's. I've never thought I needed to change the bike to a road pedal system even though I've had those in the past.
+1

I'm a big fan of Eggbeaters, easy to engage, easy to release, allow float to protect your knees. I have three bikes with Eggbeaters, I like them that much. I do everything from a short ride to the store in jeans to 100 mile gravel grinders.

I used a basic SPD pedal for my first clipless pedals (~10 years ago), they had platform one side and clip-in to the pedal on the other (like these). Seems like a good idea, until you need to find the "right side".

I got my wife started on her first ever clipless pedals with Eggbeaters and she loves them and recommends them for people starting clipless.

For shoes, I like MTB shoes because I can walk in them. I rarely ride without stopping to shop, eat, drink, socialize... I have a couple pairs of Shimano shoes, my newer ones are like this.