Old 11-09-05, 02:54 PM
str8flexed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a college student in Philadelphia (UPenn) and I currently have an 80's 10-speed Schwinn I use to get around. I got new tires on it, and it gets me around, although it shifts like crap, and isn't anything to be too proud of.

Anyway, recently I've become infatuated with shiny road bikes--I see people around campus with Scott Speedster's, some old Bianchi's, Trek's, a Lemond Tourmalet, etc.--and I'm wooing over them like someone would woo over a Bently or Lambourghini.

I was thinking about buying a new road bike too. Something $500-800--a Lemond Etape/Tourmalet, Scott Speedster, something hot. But do I really need one?

My beater Schwinn gets me around just fine. And given that I'm in college in a big city, I don't really see where I can ride for long distances. I would, if I could find some nice quiet roads, but here I'm in the city and I don't have a car to drive somewhere else. I would probably ride my bike just to class, as I do now.

I want to splurge and buy a new bike--so I can have something to be proud of--but I think I am wanting it for the wrong reasons. Just to have something nice to push around, ride for the 10 minutes to class, something to satisfy myself. I don't think I can go on long rides currently though--I just don't have much time, and I am not in a good location.

What do you think I should do? Should I resist this urge, or just satisfy myself?