Old 06-14-15, 08:10 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
First off even in the cases bicyclist won it takes court time and sometimes lawyers which is time and money. Second taking the lane just because you can when there is room to ride to the right like a bike lane or wide smooth shoulder is just being a jack ass. Yes I see cyclist doing this.
I'd really love to hear the argument, reception by all parties, and counterarguments in court for riding in the left hand tire track of a lane when a state has a "far right as practicable" statute. I mean, I know the cyclists' argument regarding taking the lane and all, but I do wonder how it would play out IRL in court...

There are stretches of road during any of my various commutes past and present, where I would and will aggressively take the lane. Usually, these are places where it is inherently dangerous for a vehicle to pass me, or where I have been subject to way-too-close passes, left hooks, right hooks, etc. in the past. It occurs to me in this thread that there are motorists who come up in back of me who think I'm just being a "road hog," taking the lane for no good reason and slowing traffic unreasonably... When this is not the case at all -- experience with a section of road dictates the position I take.