Old 06-15-15, 04:24 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 80 Posts
I recently rode a little under 3000 km on this early eighties Canadian made Peugeot Course...

The riding took place in Jamaica, which offered horrible potholed roads, nothing but hills (some pretty darn steep) and, of course, a host of moving obstacles (cows, dogs, goats, chickens, young Jamaican men driving anything, etc). The results...

At first, the bicycle, wheels in particular, suffered badly. But I learned how to ride the conditions and then, with the exception of two flat tires, not one other mechanical problem. So...

Yes the bike the OP is suggesting will work for the intended function. It is not the best choice, in my opinion, but done right, it will offer the best bang for the buck(I loved the challenge of learning how to use my vintage road bicycle in trying terraine - and I got fit even though I did not spend a lot of time going fast). I would, however, seek out a wider range cog set, even if you are fit. But there is another question that should be addressed, in this instance...

Is the rider capable of maintaining a fragile bike, like the one he has, on a long journey?

This is an important question to ask and answer! In my case, the closest bike shop was over twenty miles away, and not exactly what most of us would be used to...