View Single Post
Old 06-17-15, 01:46 PM
thebikenovice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I might as well ask, how much do you weigh?
Rear only panniers is ok usually unless you really really overload them. I would suggest trying out getting clothes etc together and see how it all fits in your existing panniers. If you have ever camped before where you had to carry your own stuff, hiking, or whatever, just use the same idea--minimum of stuff, layers of clothes, dont bring jeans, etc etc , just to keep the weight down.
If you have to take a tent, sleeping bag, camp mat, that starts to get more bulky, and could be challenging to do it with only rear panniers (without over taxing the rear wheel)

whatever you do, find a good bike shop and tell you are doing a loaded trip on the bike and pay a bit tohave them go over the wheels and check the spoke tensions, this will go a long way to hopefully avoiding spoke issues (IF your load is within reason for those wheels and your weight)
No problem. I have actually lost 55 pounds in the last 15 months. I am down to about 195 lbs, and still working my way down further. I am 5' 11" and fairly muscular, so my eventual goal is 180-185 lbs. Thanks for the advice!