View Single Post
Old 06-20-15, 11:03 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
This sounds fabulous, but I might have to move to France to find the right people....

Originally Posted by bing181
FWIW, I've had two fits.

The first was from a professional ex-cyclist who trained as a physiotherapist, and does fits using the Ergomotion system (basically, an adjustable bike hooked up to a computer that measures power).

The second, and more recent, was a Retul fit, done by a physiotherapist - who's also a cyclist - in a sports clinic. They work with the Radioshack/Trek/Leopard team in Europe.

In both cases, I specifically wanted someone with physio (or similar) training, as I have a scoliosis and leg length discrepancies (nothing major). I also have a bit of a non-standard body, basically very short torso, long arms/legs, but there again, length is not evenly distributed.

Both fits were great, the Ergomotion one got me in the ball park, but the Retul fit has taken it to another level. Big difference, the Ergomotion fit was really focused on the leg-length discrepancy and sorting that out, moreso than the actual fit. The Retul guy wasn't so fussed about leg-length etc., but very focused on the global fit.

What I now have, especially with the Retul fit, is a fit that has nothing to do with what I get if I work through one the of "fit by measurement" systems. I'm MUCH higher and MUCH further forward than what would be recommended (almost a full-blown TT position) - but it feels fabulous, I'm getting much more power, and the bike handling has improved out of site.

My experience.

BTW, speaking of bikes, can't help but put in a plug here. I have a Pinarello Rokh, acquired about 6 months ago in the search for a better-fitting bike. If you're looking at something like a Synapse or Domane, check one out. I can't say enough about what a great ride it is, and I've had/ridden some decent bikes in my time.