Old 06-21-15, 08:48 PM
Tesgin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How "doable" is a quick jaunt from San Juan Island to Victoria?

Okay, might sound like an obvious question to a local, but hey, I'm from Pennsylvania, so I thought I'd check this out.

I'm planning a trip to Seattle in Sept to visit my brother. Looking at taking a week off and doing the San Juan Islands: two nights on Lopez, two nights on Orcas, two nights on San Juan. I "was" looking at going from there to Port Townsend and exploring the Olympic Peninsula for a few days, but a few people suggested something to me...

When I was making hotel reservations, someone suggested I spend one less day on the peninsula and instead ferry out to Victoria and spend a day there exploring on bike. This was a guy from Sequim who said I'd enjoy that a lot more than the peninsula! Interesting.

My question is how doable that is. I'm not familiar with the ferry system. It might not be a big deal, but I'm wondering how easy it is taking a bike thru customs (along with my energy gels, food, etc. Is that okay?) Is there a place at "the other side" to exchange my American money for Canadian currency, etc. Is one overnight in Victoria enough time to explore (meaning, how long is the ferry ride? Do I need to leave a whole day there -- i.e., two nights -- to make it worth my while?)? I do have a current visa. Maybe it's not a big deal.

Sorry for so many questions that probably seem so basic, but it's all foreign to me (no pun intended!).

Thanks,
Tesgin

(well, maybe the pun was a "little" intended)