Old 06-27-15, 12:38 PM
fastk9dad

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
You will probably get better shifting by "cleaning things up" (and I don't mean squirting the buhoozafitz out of it with WD40) but I think it will only be very temporary. I'm going to guess these shifters have lived a hard/long life and have just worn out. If this is the case, it's replacement time.
Funny you should mention that. I did exactly that this morning, let it sit, actuated the levers a few times, wiped it clean and then took it for a short test ride. Shifting was improved, only time will tell if it stays that way.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
When the problem occurs where does the shifter spool end up? In the low position? Have you disconnected the cable from the der and by pulling the cable with your hand duplicated the problem shift? if so can you feel the shifter spool rotating too far? How old are the shifters? Model #?

Sure sounds like a shifter internal issue. Perhaps the ratchet isn't catching on what is the middle ring's steps (on the gear ring/spool). Andy.
Shifters are 3 years old, ST-5703 is the model. The spool ends up in the low position. I didn't try duplicating it by hand with the cable disconnected.

Originally Posted by JerrySTL
Have you tried cleaning all the gunk off the cable guide under the bottom bracket then lubing it?
No gunk on the cable guide but did put a drop of oil in the track when I came back from the test ride.