View Single Post
Old 06-30-15, 05:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Well, yeah. I had seen it mentioned here in BF, C&V in fact. It was a "let's see how it works as we go along" experiment. The tire dropped nicely into the slot of the rim. I pumped it up enough to hold his weight and keep the tire on the rim, but nowhere near what I'd usually ride because I didn't want it to risk pulling the seam apart where it made poor contact in the well of the rim. I gave him a stern warning about not cornering hard and to keep his speed down with the front brake on the 30+mph hill we had to descend. Then we rode for 100yds or so, stopped and check it out. It creaked a bit but nothing seemed seriously amiss so we continued to a happy ending.
I read about it here, too, and recently. I thought it works on 27" and not 700c. Or maybe it was the other way around. Well, you're the proof that it will work on at least one.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.