Old 06-30-15, 09:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
NEITHER
Foot binders on a tour bike??? WTF Wipeouts/ tipovers are almost inevitable.
Sweptback bars are best for me, but may give knee overlap with short TTs. Has more back positions than drops.
The only way you will wipeout or tipover is if it is something you normally do in the course of riding or if you don't go to a nice big open grassy field and practice a little bit or practice the unclipping motion before you get the shoes and pedals. In the relatively short time I have been riding clipless I have fallen ZERO times and almost fallen twice, once was the first night I wore them and unclipped on the opposite side of my lean and the second time was going up a short but very steep hill on my fixed gear with little momentum and things unclipped just fine.

After going clipless finally I really have no interest in going back. It is nice to feel secure in my pedals but be able to get out easily without having to leave things so loose as you would with clips and straps.