View Single Post
Old 07-03-15, 06:39 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Paradaz
Richmond Park in the UK......it's a big grassy park with a road going around the perimeter (about 7 miles). Cars are allowed to drive around the park at a 20mph limit from about 0700hrs to 2100hrs in the summer so I went in the park to do a few laps after the 2100hrs when its a bit quieter in there. The trouble is that the wildlife, mainly rabbits and deer come out onto the road once there are no cars and they are about as 'tame' as you can get as they are used to the public walking around the park all day.

Some of the downhill sections you can reach 30-40mph easily and I was shouting at the animals as I approached to get out of the way, most of the time they did however some of them just looked at me as I sped past......apart from the one moment with a deer in the middle of the road and I decided to keep left....however it suddenly moved into me as I got within about 5 meters by which time it was too late. My fingers were already on the brake levers I just gave both of them a massive pull as the impact was imminent - I hit the deer, whilst trying to veer away from it and continued off-balance and into the kerb - at which point I was ejected from my SPDs and became airborne.

It must have looked a bit of a comedy and everyone that saw it came over and the first questions in most case was "do you think the deer will be OK?" lol. It must have been fine because it ran off looking quite pleased with itself.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Mk6C4ZDDbWeVRDWTZDLTg3Tk0/view?usp=sharing
Good story to tell around a deer.... urgh... beer. I'm glad the deer was ok .