View Single Post
Old 07-06-15, 09:01 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To me if it is alot of rough terrain I would not use my 20" wheeled bike at all and go for my fully rigid 26" with fat tires. This way you'll have an easier time if the terrain gets rough with the bigger wheels you reduce the angle of attack when going over things. If it was just a day ride I wouldn't mind the 20" wheels but you are talking about 2700+ MILES of rough terrain over multiple WEEKS. I would want to save my hands and body in the long run, for those that say there's not much difference I would seriously beg to differ because I have 20" and a 26" bike with 2" fat tires on both and hitting gravel trails I was gliding ALOT easier and faster on my 20 year old fully rigid mtn bike vs my 3 year old folder!

BUT if you ONLY have a 20" tire and still want to do it, it'll be doable just not as efficient. And make sure you put on the fattest tire you can get on there for comfort, if you get too thin and there's alot of loose gravel you'll end up cutting into the gravel which will suck alot of energy.