View Single Post
Old 07-10-15, 07:03 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Replacement for DA 7400 fork crown race?

A while back I bought a Dura Ace 7400 headset off eBay for a build I'd planned. The seller said it worked great and it came with caged bearings, so I just assumed it was one of the later ones and only gave it a cursory examination when I got it. Finally dug it out of the parts bin a year + later for a completely different project and wouldn't you know it but it's one of those early ones with the annodized fork crown race and you can start to see a bit of wear in the annodizing. Not too bad, but starting to look like there's going to be some indexing eventually.

I know it's a long shot, but is there any source out there for a replacment fork crown race for these things? I think I only dropped $20 on it, so I'd be bummed, but not too terribly upset if it turns out I can't use it. Everything else on the bike (except the seatpost and saddle) is Italian, so I really ought to go with a campy headset, but my Veloce headset is 3 or so mm too tall (lock nut starts to thread on but not enough that it stays securely), and I had this on hand whereas I'd have to buy a new record headset.