View Single Post
Old 07-15-15, 12:04 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I would agree with you but the police officer was pretty argumentative about not being able to give the cyclists 3 feet. He had to have been fairly close. GRR is a pretty narrow road at best and doesn't really have enough room for two cars to pass in opposite directions without taking care.
I find California to be a strange place full of contrasts. The eastern viewpoint is that it's a left of center, loosey goosey kind of society, but the reality is often the exact opposite with more rules and more tightly written rules, more rigidly enforced.

For example here in NY, nobody, but nobody (except maybe a displaced California cop) would hesitate before moving left halfway over the double yellow (if that's what it was) to pass a cyclist. And if there were oncoming traffic we'd all do the split the road three ways dance and pass without a word said. Obviously it's better to wait and pass when the road is clear, but it's yellow paint on the road and not the Siegfried line, and folks should just use some common sense.

OTOH - getting worked up over being theoretically endangered AFTER nothing actually happened doesn't make a world of sense either. Not being that diplomatic at times, if I were the cop and was accused of endangering somebody, I might have said "If I endangered you, you wouldn't be talking about it now" or something like that.

IMO enough actual bad schist happens that we all need to chill about what doesn't happen even though it could have, and get on with our lives. But then as I said, I just don't understand California.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.