Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by essiemyra
Hi, I am going on my first solo tryout of touring. I have ordered the tent and air pad. Now I am getting the urge to go out and try them this weekend. My issue is I am going alone. I do not feel safe at state campgrounds and I was thinking of riding to where my sister is camping and staying at a site there. That way I would know people.

I have done a supported tour last year and loved it. I also commute to work daily, so i am not new to riding or the miles I will do.

Any suggestions on how to get more comfortable with being alone? I am a fifty six year old woman if that makes any difference.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the idea of camping with/near your sister. In fact, that's a great idea.

Also ...

-- if you're in a country other than the US, you might plan to stay at hostels. The hostels I've stayed in in Australia, Europe, Japan, and most of the ones in Canada have been pretty good.

-- or hotels if your budget will manage it.

-- you could plan trips to friends or family, and stay with them. Even one night with a friend ... one night on your own ... one night with a family member ... one night on your own, and repeat your way around for a couple weeks.

-- you could look up cycletouring groups within your destination location to see if they've got rides on. I've considered doing something like that across western Canada ... get a list of the tours cycletouring clubs in Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg are doing, and plan a trip where I could go from one to the next to the next. There might be some solo stuff in between, but half the trip would be in a group environment.

-- hub-and-spoke tours might be an option for you. Find a location you like (maybe a nice hostel, for example) and then cycle out in different directions every day. Really explore the area.