View Single Post
Old 07-17-15, 02:14 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
okay,

if you have a dremel with a copper brush that does well to knock off old dried glue. if it's just a thin layer on the rim leave it and scuff it up with some sandpaper.

I don't have any experience with the Yellow Jersey tires, but have with the GIro and Vittoria. I like the Vittoria, it at least looks vintage.
Know that neither one will give you a good tubular ride, you just won't get the full feeling, or the tubular sound....
I'd spend a bit more and go for the Vittoria corsa elite ($33 per).

My only experience with the Jantex tape was years ago and it wasn't great.
I have used the Tufo tape, it works just make sure you get the Tufo Extreme tape.

Personally I'd start with tape, then if you like the whole Tubular experience learn to glue a tire.

Marty
I like the Yellow Jersey tires, they give a better tubular experience than either the Rallye or the Giro. I also like the Gommitalia ... cheap one; forgot the name! It's not the Espresso that Marty here used to laud.

If the OP's "new" tubular wheels have Campy hubs and Mavic GP-4 rims (never heard of an MP-4), that is probably a fine, light set of wheels.